Founded in 1874 as the Yorkshire College of Science, merged ten years later with the Leeds School of Medicine, and granted its Royal Charter in 1904 by King Edward VII, The University of Leeds is by no means the oldest educational establishment in England, but it is one of the most innovative and forward-looking, and it takes great pride in ensuring that it is as accessible as possible to all its students.
There is now an Accessible Route through the campus, which provides a step-free path from the main entrance of the University at the Parkinson Steps to the Worsley Building.
For the first time since its opening in 1951, The Parkinson Building can now be reached by all students, staff and visitors through the main entrance. The University was determined to make this development part of its programme of equality and inclusion, and it commissioned PCE Hybrid Structures, an award-winning company with an excellent reputation for the most modern techniques in the construction industry, to carry out the work for the lift shaft box units.
At the core of the redevelopment of the Parkinson Building was a five-storey lift shaft, and PCE Hybrid Structures turned to Shay Murtagh Precast Concrete to manufacture and deliver the forty-eight lift shaft box units to house the lifts and the new system. Precast concrete is playing an increasingly important role in hybrid building, as it combines the strength and durability of traditional concrete with the convenience, safety and versatility that is demanded in civil engineering today. Shay Murtagh, whose modern design and manufacturing capabilities are firmly built on four decades of experience, is the partner of choice for contractors for whom quality and reliability head the list of principles.
Leeds University constantly looks to the future, not only in the courses and the activities it offers but also in the maintenance and upgrading of the buildings that house them. It is not surprising that they would seek companies and partners who share their ambitions when such work is necessary.